Wednesday, August 17, 2016

I LOVE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

   Image result for first day of school
 Several years ago (circa 1995) I made a decision.  I decided that I would abandon my plans to pursue a career in journalism and transition to education.  It was really a simple decision.  The economics didn't matter (neither occupation pays very well) and my family was supportive.  So I decided that I would leave the University of Missouri after two years and move to a cheaper school (CMSU) to finish my degree in education.

    I can't say that there were not hiccups.  My first two years in the classroom were adventurous and full of failures.  However, I had students who I enjoyed, coworkers who were supportive, and administrators who were VERY patient.  By my 3rd and 4th years I had begun to "hit my stride".  Things came easier, I really enjoyed teaching, and I was decent at it.

    Now, as I look back, I can't believe that this is my 19th year as an educator.  After 12 years in the classroom and now my 7th as an administrator, I feel like I have seen just about everything.  I have become one of those "grizzled veterans" I remember from my early educational career.  However, there is one thing that hasn't changed for me...I still love the first day of school!

    I still toss and turn the night before the first day.  I still wake up before my alarm because I don't want to oversleep.  I still get butterflies as I pull into the parking lot on that morning.  So why do I still feel this way after 19 years?  Because every first day is a clean slate.  It is a fresh start.  Everyone is happy and visiting.  It is a time of excitement.  

    Last year I introduced our motto:  "Excellence In All We Do", this year we will continue that pursuit.  We had a very good year last year. Attendance was up, discipline was down, the sports teams did very well, we saw a renaissance in some clubs such as FCCLA and NHS, FFA had its most successful year in recent history, Our band received a 1 rating, many organizations such as our Art Club undertook community service projects, our whole school began giving back to local communities, all in all it was an excellent year! 

    It is important now for us to keep striving for greatness.  We cannot rest on our accomplishments of last year, we must choose to build on them.  I am excited to see where we can lead this school next.  We have a lot of great things happening.  We will move into a new building next year, our enrollment has increased for the second year in a row, we are producing intelligent, compassionate, and productive citizens every year.  Winston High School must continue to be a leader in our conference, our area, and our State.  It is a Great Day to be a Redbird!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment